You asked and we answered! At 1Life we believe insurance products should be affordable, simple and convenient. To make owning your policy just that little bit easier here are the top 10 questions that you, the policyholder, ask us most often.
If you have a query and it is not on this list, please contact our Client Services team on 0860 10 51 94 or visit our Tools page for more policyholder FAQs.
1. What happens if I do not complete the life insurance HIV test within the required 3 months?
Your policy will change to accidental cover only until you complete the HIV test. This means that should you die as a result of any type of accident, from falling down steps to being in a car crash, you will be covered. However, if you pass away due to a terminal disease, your loved ones will not be able to claim.
When you have completed the HIV test outside of the required 3 months and we have received the results, your policy will be subject to underwriting again. This means that we will contact you to ask you our underwriting questions.
2. Can I borrow against my insurance policy?Unfortunately, 1Life policies are risk policies and as such do not have a surrender value and cannot be “cashed in” nor can you borrow money from the policy. However, you are able to cede your policy over to a financial institution as a guarantee when applying for a home loan. Kindly contact the Client Services department on 0860 10 51 94 for further details.
3. I have not received my policy documents, what should I do?Either contact Client Services on 0860 10 51 94 or send an email to [email protected]. Please also ensure that your contact details are correct at all times, especially your email address, as this is the most reliable way that we can send you your policy documents. Please include your ID number and contact number so that we can facilitate changes on your policy.
4. I want to claim, whom should I contact?For life, dread or disability insurance claims, please contact the claims department on 0860 10 51 96 or email [email protected].
For funeral cover claims, please call 0860 10 59 79 or email [email protected].
The claims consultant will explain the claims process and will provide you with information on the documents required to process the claim. Please remember that to ensure a claim is paid out, you as the policyholder must keep your medical, personal and banking details up to date and inform 1Life if your lifestyle changes in any way. (See question 10 below)
5. Do you have offices in my city or town?The 1Life Insurance head office is based at Auto & General Park in Dainfern, Johannesburg. We have group offices in Cape Town and Durban, however no walk-in assistance can be given at these offices.
Remember that for any queries you can contact our call centre on 0860 10 51 94 at the following times:
Monday - Friday 08:00 - 18:00
Saturday 09:00 - 13:00
6. How do I update my beneficiaries or change my address details?To update your policy, change or add beneficiaries, as well as address details, please contact Client Services on0860 10 51 94 or send an email to [email protected]. Please provide us with your ID number and policy number so that we can facilitate the changes to your policy.
If you have a life insurance policy you can also update your beneficiary and contact details via the 1Life USSD Policy Management Service. You can also view policy information, edit your smoker status, request a call from Client Services, request a quote and locate a pharmacy. Dial *120*101# to access the service.
7. Can I upgrade my cover?Because your financial needs change as your life changes, you should update your policy whenever a life change impacts the amount of cover you need, for example marriage or the birth of a child. To upgrade your cover please contact Client Services on 0860 10 51 94.
Through its Guaranteed Assurability option, 1Life clients may increase their life cover amount on the anniversary of the policy or after a significant event such as if they get married, have or legally adopt a child, buy a house or open a new business, there is no need for further underwriting, all you 1Life clients would need to do is undergo a new HIV test.
Furthermore, if you have a life insurance policy with another insurer that was taken out in the last 24 months you can add up to R3 million to your existing cover without taking an HIV test or medical examination. This special offer from 1Life also applies to any dread disease cover or a disability insurance policy you might have with another insurer.
8. I can no longer afford my cover, what should I do?We are able to assist you in tailoring your policy to better suit your budget until your financial situation changes. Call us on 0860 10 51 94 or send an email to [email protected] and we will gladly help you continue protecting your loved ones.
Remember that if you let your policy lapse, you will be subject to underwriting again when you reinstate your policy, and this could result in your premiums increasing.
9. What lifestyle changes do I need to tell you about?It is very important to keep us informed of certain lifestyle changes as these can have an effect on your benefit amounts and/or premiums payable as these factors determine your risk profile. These changes include:
- Your smoking status changes, you get a new job, or embark on a new career entirely
- You are outside of the borders of South Africa for more than 14 consecutive days due to travel for work or recreation
- You start a hobby or sport that may put you at greater risk, for example regularly engaging in skydiving, bungee jumping or high-speed motor racing
10. What is the difference between funeral cover and life insurance?There are a few key differences between life insurance and funeral insurance. With life insurance you take out cover on your own life to secure the financial wellbeing of your loved ones in the event of your death and the life insurer issues a payment to your nominated beneficiary.
Funeral cover insures you and your immediate or extended family on the same policy and pays out when a death occurs and funeral and other services need to be arranged.