Dread disease cover

Dread disease coverSerious illnesses are a reality for all of us. At 1Life we know that a lack of funds should not stand between you and the care you need. Fight back against illnesses such as cancer and strokes with dread disease cover and claim your right to good health and peace of mind.

Why 1Life Dread Disease Cover?

  • You and your family should not have to worry about money when coping with serious illness
  • Pays out up to R4 million depending on the cover chosen
  • Makes funds available if you need to live on a reduced income while you recover or to pay medical costs not covered by your medical aid 
  • No medical check ups, just an HIV test
  • No increase on premiums for the first 24 months

Get an online quote

1Life Dread Disease Cover will pay out a percentage of your cover amount as a tax-free lump sum if you fall victim to a serious illness such as cancer or Alzheimer’s, have a heart attack or stroke or even require an organ transplant.

You can use your pay-out to cover medical expenses not covered by medical aids and to ensure that you always have access to quality medical care – especially out of hospital expenses. Your funds can also be used to cover basic living expenses while you are recuperating.

With dread disease cover you focus on what is important to you - your recovery and the well-being of your family!

No medical check ups, just an HIV testNo medical examinations required, just an HIV test. You can do your test at any participating Link Pharmacy with just a cheek swab or via a blood test at any Lancet Laboratory.

Fixed premiumsNo increase in your premiums for the first 24 months and thereafter they will only increase by 5% per year. (For example, if you are paying R150 per month, the increase after 24 months will only be R7.50).

Waiting periodsYou are covered immediately for accidental and natural death.

Premium waiverIf available on the policy, this benefit is only applicable if the policyholder/owner is also the life assured and is also responsible for the payment of premiums. If the life assured becomes disabled and is paid a lump sum disability benefit, the premiums for Pure Life Cover and dread disease cover (if applicable) will not be charged for a certain period, as stated in the policy schedule.

To find out more about dread disease cover, visit our FAQs page.

Get an online quote

Ts&Cs apply.

At 1Life we know that it is affordable insurance and great benefits that deliver real value for money for our clients. This is what you can expect from your dread disease insurance policy:

Financial needs analysisBenefit from a financial needs analysis before you buy your cover. This means you buy only the cover you and your family need based on your individual circumstances and what you can afford.

The Truth About MoneyAll South Africans qualify for money management services from The Truth About Money at no extra charge. These services include debt management and counselling, estate planning and financial literacy courses. Find out more about The Truth About Money.

Expo-SureDo you know that the risk of contracting HIV is significantly reduced if action is taken within 72 hours of being exposed to the virus? 1Life Dread Disease Cover gives you access to Expo-Sure, a confidential HIV testing and treatment programme in the event of accidental exposure to HIV. Download brochure.

Guaranteed assurabilityYou can increase your critical illness cover amount without having to undergo a medical on your policy anniversary or if you get married, have a child or buy a new home.

Great benefits - but what about the premium? Find out just how affordable 1Life Dread Disease Cover is.

Get an online quote

Ts&Cs apply.

How is my premium calculated?Your dread disease cover premium is based on your specific risk profile. This means that factors like your age, gender, occupation and health will all be considered when your monthly premium is calculated.  

Use the insurance calculator to work out  how much cover you and your family need against death, disability and dread disease. 

When will a policy pay out?Your dread disease cover policy will pay a percentage of your cover amount if you are diagnosed with a dread disease as listed in the 1Life policy book. Such diseases include cancer, heart attacks, strokes, organ failure & transplants and Alzheimer’s.

  • You will be paid 25% of your cover amount if you are diagnosed with a life-impacting disease (A life impacting disease is defined as a serious medical condition that requires immediate medical attention but has a very favourable prognosis)
  • You will be paid 100% of your cover amount if you are diagnosed with a life-threatening disease (A life threatening disease is defined as a very serious medical condition requiring urgent and ongoing medical attention with a poor prognosis)
  • If you are paid 25% for a life-impacting disease you will not be paid for any other claims related to the same condition unless that condition has progressed to the life-threating stage – then you will be paid out the remaining 75% of your cover
  • If you are paid out 25% for a life impacting disease that only leaves 75% of your cover amount to cover any subsequent life-impacting conditions
  • Once a cumulative amount of 100% of the total sum assured (stated in the policy schedule) has been paid out, no further payouts for this benefit will be considered and cover will cease

When would a claim be rejected?A claim will be rejected if:

  • The life assured withholds information from us at any stage
  • Your illness was caused by excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs or radioactivity and nuclear explosions

Other exclusions – or conditions under which claims might be rejected – will also be listed in the policy schedule that is issued to you when your purchase your policy.

Read this blog to learn more about why your dread disease cover claim might be rejected.

How do I submit a claim?You can find out how to submit a claim on our claims page. 1Life takes claims seriously and endeavours to attend to them timeously. Please speak to a claims advisor on 0860 10 51 96 if you need any assistance or have any queries.

Minimum age of entryYou have to be between the ages of 18 and 64 to purchase 1Life Dread Disease Cover.

Get an online quote

Ts&Cs apply.

The Truth About Money At 1Life we know that your future is written in how you manage your money. But we also know that South Africans do not always have the money management skills they need to build the future of their dreams. That is why we launched The Truth About Money.

The Truth About Money makes money management services and training available to all South Africans at no charge. These services include the following:

Debt counsellingIf your debt has become unmanageable and you are struggling to make ends meet, The Truth About Money can help! You can register for telephonic debt management and debt counselling services on the Truth About Money website.

Estate mediationBecause we know how important it is to have your affairs in order, we will help you draft a will for yourself and your spouse or set up a trust for minor beneficiaries. You can also apply for legal advice and mediation if you need help winding up the estate of a relative.

Financial education courseFinancial education is the key to your financial freedom. The Truth About Money offers you access to a digital Financial Education course that you can complete at your own pace at any Boston Campus nationwide. Apply today!

Online advice and informationDo you want to learn more about how you can take control of your finances? Visit our website for tools, tips, news and views!

All of these services are available to successful applicants at no charge!

Visit The Truth About Money website to learn more and register.