You know 1Life will pay a valid funeral policy claim quickly so you have the money on hand to pay for funeral expenses. But do you know about all the extra benefits that you can get as a 1Life Funeral Cover policyholder? We’ve listed some below - take a look and be sure you are making the most of your policy by taking advantage of all that 1Life has to offer. Don’t miss out!
1. Use the free Truth About Money services
As a 1Life policyholder, you have access to Truth About Money, which offers you three free services:
- Debt management services including debt counselling and consolidation
- Legal assistance benefit, including 24-hour legal advice and a will drafting service for you and your spouse
- A free online financial education course that will teach you how to manage your money and make good investment decisions
You’ll also find great articles on the Truth About Money blog that features money management advice, saving ideas and more!
Find out more: Visit Truth About Money
2. Don’t miss out on your policy benefits
Your 1Life Funeral Cover policy includes the following great benefits:
- Repatriation service: a repatriation service is offered to transport the deceased from place of death (the territory) to the final funeral home closest to the place of burial (within the borders of South Africa). The "territory" shall mean the Republic of South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Swaziland, Lesotho and Mozambique.
- A memorial benefit for all members over the age of 14 that pays up to R5 000 for a memorial headstone on the anniversary of a successful claim
- Grocery benefit of up to R1 000 a month for six months after the main member passes
- Premium waiver that will pay premiums for up to two years if the main member passes
- Continuation benefit that allows an additional member to take over a funeral policy if the main member passes, with no additional waiting periods
Top tip: Speak to your policy beneficiary and members about the benefits they qualify for.
Find out more: Check your policy schedule and policy book for more details on your benefits or speak to your financial adviser or our client services team for more information.
3. Cover your family on one policy
You can cover up to 16 additional family members including your spouse, children, parents, parents-in-law and extended family on your 1Life Funeral Cover policy. Covering all your family members on one policy reduces admin – you only have one policy document to read, update if necessary and store. It also costs less than having two policies because there is only one admin fee.
Find out more: Check your policy schedule to see who is covered on your policy. Visit 1Life’s online policyholder portal if you want to add any family members not covered on your policy or speak to your broker.
4. Sign up for 1Life rewards
Sign up for 1Life Rewards and get monthly discounts and cashback benefits at retailers like DisChem, Checkers and Shoprite, Woolworths, Edgars and Foschini, as well as restaurants like Steers, cinemas Ster Kinekor and Nu Metro, and Eldo Coaches. Reward packages start at R50 a month, and you can earn rewards up to the value of R1 000 a month!
Find out more: Find the 1Life Rewards app on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store, install and register with your SA ID number! You can also call 087 825 0045 or email 1Life Rewards for more information.
So now you are up to date on all the benefits you are entitled to, you want to make sure that your policy is in order so there are no delays when you claim. Take a moment to check your policy to make sure that you understand it, and that:
- You, as the main member, are insured for an adequate amount
- Your family members are insured, and for an adequate amount
- You have named a beneficiary who will receive the pay-out if the main member passes
- All names and contact details are correct
- You are aware of any exclusions or waiting periods that apply
You can check the details of your policy on your policy schedule. You can also view your policy and update your beneficiaries and contact details on the policyholder portal. For any other changes contact our client services team or speak to your broker.
Top tip: You should do this check once a year, or when a major event happens in your life, for instance you get married or have a child.
As well as giving you and your family the funeral insurance you need, your 1Life Funeral Cover policy comes with a host of great benefits and free services. What are you waiting for? Get to know your benefits and start using them today.