Prepaid Funeral Product is an insurance product and the benefits payable under this product to you are subject to the terms and conditions detailed below. Upon purchase of the pre-paid funeral voucher, the client must activate the pre-paid voucher with 1Life via USSD and after activation the client would qualify for a pre-paid funeral insurance policy that will entitle the Policyholder to funeral policy benefits. This product is underwritten and administered by 1Life and a copy of the master policy is available upon request.
1. Your General Obligations
Your obligations are to:
- Inform us if any of your details or declarations are incorrect or if any of your details or declarations change.
- ensure that you purchase a prepaid voucher on a monthly basis and activate it as soon as reasonably possible.
- ensure that you fill in the correct personal details during the activation process
- Familiarize yourself fully with these terms and conditions
2. Table of benefits
| Cover Amount Insured Lives 18 - 65
|| Monthly Premium
If your policy lapses or is cancelled and you purchase a new voucher, any applicable waiting periods will start afresh.
3. Access to Product and Benefits
You can access your product and benefits or make changes such as changing your beneficiary in terms of the funeral benefit or any other change:
Using USSD code *120*154233# (20c/20s), or Call the following telephone number for any policy related query 0861 08 88 00 or email email@example.com
4. Who has access to the benefits of this Product?
Only you have access to the benefits of this Product.
The summary of your funeral benefits as set out below shows the main features of your benefit, such as the events which will trigger the payment of the benefits and any exclusions, limitations and waiting periods applicable to such benefits as well as the information provided by you that 1Life considers material in order to provide you with the benefits.
1. Who is the Insurer?
The funeral benefit is provided by 1Life Insurance Limited a long-term insurer, registered as such in terms of the Long-term Insurance Act, 52 of 1998 ("Long-term Insurance Act"), with registration number: 2005/027193/06 and registered place of business as Auto & General Park, 1 Telesure Lane, Dainfern, 2191. ("1Life").
2. Who is the Policyholder?
You, the person who has applied for this policy by activating a purchased prepaid voucher in your own name.
3. Who is the Assured Life?
The policyholder and the assured life under this policy is the same person. This policy does not provide cover to any person other than the policyholder.
4. What is the purpose of this benefit?
The purpose of this benefit is to provide a funeral benefit as a lump sum, payable in the event of your death to assist in covering the costs of your funeral, a subject to the exclusions, limitations and waiting periods set out as authorised and described below.
5. What benefits are payable in terms of this policy?
Cover in terms of this policy is whole life and will cease on the death of the policyholder. The policy benefits in respect of the assured life is set out and summarised in the table below:
| Accidental Death
||A sudden and unforeseen event occurring at an identifiable place and time, which has a visible, violent or external cause, and results in the death of the life assured.
||The sum assured selected based on the contents of the Table of benefits above.
| Natural Death
||Death that occurs from natural causes such as disease or old age, rather than from an act of violence or injury sustained in an accident. A waiting period of 6 months shall apply during which upon your death only the accidental death benefit shall be payable. Should your policy lapse at any time before expiry of the six months waiting period and you successfully re-apply for a new policy, the waiting period shall start afresh.
||The sum assured selected based on the contents of the Table of benefits above.
| Repatriation Benefit for the Policyholder
The beneficiary or a representative of the policyholder must contact 1Life’s Funeral Support Services supplier to make use of this benefit.
Repatriation means the transport of the policyholder’s body to the funeral home of the beneficiary’s choice, closest to the place of burial. The funeral home, place of death and the place of burial must fall within the Republic of South Africa.
In the event the beneficiary or policyholder’s representatives making their own arrangements and incurring repatriation costs without referral to 1Life’s Funeral Support Services supplier, 1Life or its supplier will not be held responsible for these costs.
To redeem this benefit on the death of an insured life, please contact 0117459106
NB. The sum assured offered under the above benefits (natural and accidental) remains the same at all times. There shall be no any insured event that may give rise to both benefits becoming payable under this policy in respect of a claim of one assured life.
6. When will the policy benefits become payable?
Subject to any waiting periods and subject to the payment of your premiums being up-to-date. The benefits shall be payable upon the happening of the insured event.
7. What is an insured event?
The insured event for purposes of this benefit is the death of the assured life.
8. When does the benefit come into force?
Subject to the terms and conditions of this benefit, your funeral benefit comes in to force on the activation of a funeral prepaid voucher and shall remain in force unless otherwise lawfully terminated or cancelled by you.
9. When will the benefit come to an end?
The benefit will cease in respect of the assured life and the benefit will come to an end in the event of:
- the death of the assured life;
- failure by the policyholder to activate a newly purchased voucher as and when the premiums become due during the grace period
- the assured life residing outside of the Republic of South Africa for a continuous period exceeding 60 (sixty) days, without the prior written approval of 1Life.
What is not covered?
1Life will not pay benefits on any claim where the assured life's death is directly or indirectly related to; accelerated by; or attributed to:
- suicide or attempted suicide by a policyholder, during the first 24 (twenty-four) months of activation of cover, from the commencement date or reinstatement of cover irrespective of whether such suicide or attempted suicide is the result of temporary or permanent insanity, mental illness, the influence of drugs or intoxication of the policyholder;
- negligence, recklessness, transgression of the law or intentional exposure to danger;
- the policyholder being under the influence of illegal drugs or habit forming substances;
- a pre-existing medical condition that existed 6 (six) months prior to the commencement date of cover; and
- the wilful self-infliction of injuries.
10. What waiting periods apply to my benefits?
No insurance cover shall be provided and 1Life will not recognise any claim, in the event of death of an assured life, due to natural causes, within 6 (six) months from the commencement date applicable to that assured life. During this waiting period, all voucher activations of the same value shall remain payable. If all voucher activations of the same value are not paid within this 6 (six) month period, then natural causes will become effective once 6 (six) months voucher of the same value have been activated. If the policy cancels, and a six month non-payment period ensues, and the policy is later re-instated, then a new 6 (six) month waiting period applies from the new commencement date applicable to that assured life.
No cover will be provided for any claim arising from an assured life’s own act, or injuries associated with an assured life’s own act within the first 24 (twenty four) months. If all premiums are not paid within this 24 (twenty four) month period, then cover will become effective once 24 (twenty four) months premiums have been paid. If the policy cancels, and a six month non-payment period ensues, and the policy is later re-instated, then a new 24 (twenty four) month waiting period applies from the new commencement date applicable to that assured life.
Death of an assured life, due to an accident, is covered from the activation of the funeral prepaid voucher. Accidental death means death caused directly or resulting from injuries sustained due to a sudden and unforeseen event (an accident) which occurs at an identifiable place and time and has a visible, violent and external cause and which results in the death of the assured life.
If the sum assured is increased on the policy, a new 6 (six) months waiting period will apply for death due to natural causes to the increased portion, effective from the date of increase.
If the sum insured is decreased on the policy, no new waiting period applies for death due to natural causes for the decreased portion provided that any applicable waiting period has expired.
11. Who qualifies for cover?
The minimum age of entry for commencement of cover in respect of this policy is 18 (eighteen) years of age. The maximum age of entry for commencement of cover in respect of this policy is 65 (sixty five) years of age, age of next birthday, in respect of the policyholder. Cover applies to South African Citizens only.
12. What is the amount of the premiums payable and when are they payable?
The Table of Benefits above outlines the minimum premiums payable. Premiums are considered to have been received by the Insurer upon the activation of the prepaid funeral voucher with 1Life. In order for your policy to remain in force, you must ensure that you purchase and activate a prepaid funeral voucher with a Rand value that will entitle you to be eligible for the desired sum assured on a monthly basis.
13. How must claims for benefits be instituted?
To claim this benefit, please follow the process outlined in the General Terms and Conditions below. The following documents will be required in order to process your claim:
- a completed official claim form as prescribed by 1Life from time to time;
- an original or certified copy of the death certificate of the assured life;
- a certified copy of the deceased assured life's identity document;
- a certified copy of the policyholder's identity document;
- a police report in the case of death due to unnatural causes or as a result of accidental death during the waiting period;
- a fully completed BI1663 form, to be obtained from the Department of Home Affairs; and
- any such other documentary proof as may be required by 1Life in its sole discretion.
- All costs incurred in proving a claim shall be for the account of the claimant.
- All approved claims will be paid out within 48 (forty-eight) hours after receipt by 1Life of all the required documents stipulated herein above.
- 1Life will not pay or be liable for a claim unless the policyholder or the nominated beneficiary:
- complies with requirements for notification and lodgement of its claim for benefits;
- notifies 1Life of its claim in the manner prescribed above and institutes the claim with 1Life in the prescribed manner within 6 (six) months from the date of the occurrence of the insured event. In the event that 1Life rejects a claim or disputes the amount of the claim, the nominated beneficiary may make representations to 1Life within a period of 90 (ninety) days after receipt of 1Life's notification of rejection or dispute of the claim;
- 1Life shall be entitled to apply set-off against any benefits payable and any outstanding premiums or other amounts payable to 1Life by the policyholder. In the event that 1Life is not able to apply set-off, 1Life shall be entitled to deduct any such amounts outstanding from the benefits payable.
- No claims of whatsoever nature shall be instituted or entertained in terms of this policy after the date of cancellation or termination of the policy, unless the insured event giving rise to such claim occurred prior to the date of cancellation.
- 1Life reserves the right to cancel the cover and declare all premiums paid as forfeited, should there be evidence of, or an attempted submission of a fictional claim, fraud or misrepresentation.
14. Are there any medical examinations required?
No medical examinations will be required in respect of any assured life for purposes of this policy benefit.
15. What are the residency requirements for the assured lives?
The assured life must be citizens of the Republic of South Africa with effect from the commencement date of this policy. Benefits will not be paid in respect of an assured life who is permanently resident in a foreign country and who does not have a South African identity document.
16. How are amendments to the policy handled?
Where a change to this policy benefits becomes necessary due to any legislation change, then 1Life shall be entitled to effect the change without consulting you and without an endorsement.
The headings and questions in respect of the terms and conditions set out herein must not be taken into account for purposes of the interpretation of this policy benefit.
Where the context so requires:
- words and expressions importing one gender shall include the other gender;
- words and expressions denoting the singular shall include the plural and vice versa;
- a reference to any statute, constitution, decree, treaty, regulation, directive, ordinance, by-law, order or any other enactment or legislative measure of government (including local or provincial government) statutory or regulatory body which has the force of law means the relevant enactment or legislative measure as at the commencement date and as amended or re-enacted from time to time;
- a reference to a party includes a reference to that party's successors in title and assigns allowed at law.
If any period is referred to in this policy by way of a reference to a number of days or weeks or months or other intervals, the period shall be reckoned exclusive of the first day and inclusive of the last day of the relevant interval, unless the last day falls on a day which is not a business day, in which case the last day shall be the next succeeding business day.
If amounts or figures are specified in numerals and in words and if there is any discrepancy between the numerals and the words then the words shall apply.
- The policy does not accumulate cash - or surrender value and may not be converted into a paid up policy. 1Life specifically determines that no loans will be allowed in terms of this policy.
- The policy constitutes the entire agreement between the parties, and no other conditions, stipulations, warranties or representations whatsoever have been made by any party or that party's agent, other than as specifically included herein.
- No latitude, extension of time or other indulgence which may be given or allowed by either party to the other in respect of any payment provided for in the policy or the performance of any other obligation shall under any circumstances be construed to be an implied consent by such party or operate as a waiver or a novation of or otherwise affect any of the third party's rights in terms of or arising from this policy, or prevent such party from importing, at any time and without notice, strict and punctual compliance with each and every provision or term hereof.
FSP: 1Life Insurance Limited
FSP Number: 24769
Registration Number: 2005/027193/06
Physical Address: Auto & General Park, 1 Telesure Lane, Riverglen, Dainfern, 2191
Postal Address: PO Box 11250, Johannesburg, 2000
Telephone number: (011) 428 1405
Compliance Officer: PO Box 11250, Johannesburg, 2000
Tel: 0860 99 99 54
Fax: (011) 489 4381
Public Officer: Adriana Weilbach
1Life Insurance Limited is an authorised financial services provider, licensed to provide advice and render intermediary services on long term insurance category A and B.
The financial services provider has professional indemnity cover in place.
1Life has appointed One Point Administration and Systems (Pty) Limited (“One Point”) to perform administrative duties on its behalf such as but not limited to:
- Changing of beneficiary;
- Updating of contact details;
- Cancelation of policy;
- General policy-related enquiries.
One Point is an authorised FSP with registration number: 2014/090645/07 and registered place of business as Block C Surrey Circle, 337 Surrey Avenue, Ferndale, Randburg.
The product supplier will try to resolve your queries and complaints in an efficient, speedy, and fair manner. We will make printed recordings of any transactions or recordings of telephone discussions (where applicable) available on request.
How we handle your enquiry or complaint:
STEP 1 – Contact the client services department
Should you have any complaints regarding the following, you may be requested to submit your complaint in writing together with any supporting documentation:
- The administration of your policy benefit, for example problems with your payment, incorrect information on your policy Agreement ; or
- Claims on your policy benefits, for example a claim lodged is taking too long or has been repudiated.
Client Services Manager
PO Box 11250, Johannesburg, 2000
Tel: 0861 08 88 00
Fax: 0860 10 51 97
STEP 2 – Contact the internal dispute resolution or compliance department
Contact the internal dispute resolution department
If the matter is still not resolved to your satisfaction and it relates to a disputed claim, please contact our internal dispute resolution department, the details are as follows:
Internal dispute resolution department
PO Box 11250, Johannesburg, 2000
Tel: 0860 10 54 31
Fax: 0860 10 51 97
STEP 3 - Contact the Long-term Insurance Ombudsman or the FAIS Ombudsman (where applicable)
The Ombudsman for Long-term Insurance
Private Bag X45, Claremont, Cape Town, 7735
Tel: (021) 657 5000
Fax: (021) 657 0951
The FAIS Ombudsman is an independent and impartial dispute resolution tribunal which investigates, considers and disposes of complaints by consumers against Financial Services Providers. For example, the way a policy was sold or how a service was provided.
PO Box 74571 Lynnwood Ridge, 0040
Tel: (012) 470 9080
Fax: (012) 348 3447
Sharecall: 0860 FAISOM (0860 32 47 66)
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Frequently Asked Questions, click here.